East Pottawattamie County Courthouse

East Pottawattamie County Courthouse

After two failed votes to split Pottawattamie County into two counties, in 1886 the legislature passed a law allowing two courthouses in the county, due to the county's size. Avoca's courthouse was built in 1887 with court convening in January 1888. The ornate judge's bench was moved from the old Council Bluffs Courthouse and placed in Avoca in 1977. The courthouse was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on October 16, 1966. The Clerk's office of Avoca's Courthouse was closed effective December 31,1992, with all files and records transferred to Couincil Bluffs. 
This historic site is maintained by local volunteers.

View AllUpcoming Events


East Pottawattamie County Passport Support
9:00 AM CST, Apr 17, 2024
Avoca, IA
Assistance with passport services
Read More
Veterans Services Office Hours
9:00 AM CST, May 01, 2024
Avoca, IA
East Pottawattamie Veterans Services Support
Read More
East Pottawattamie County Passport Support
9:00 AM CST, May 15, 2024
Avoca, IA
Assistance with passport services
Read More
Veterans Services Office Hours
9:00 AM CST, Jun 05, 2024
Avoca, IA
East Pottawattamie Veterans Services Support
Read More
East Pottawattamie County Passport Support
9:00 AM CST, Jun 19, 2024
Avoca, IA
Assistance with passport services
Read More